Welcome to CWGA
The Connecticut Women's Golf Association is a voluntary not-for-profit organization founded in 1919. CWGA provides competitive golfing opportunities for its members, promotes understanding of the rules of golf and encourages female junior golfers statewide.
CWGA now comprises 61 member clubs with a membership of about 500 women. Club membership in this Association is limited to private golf clubs in the State of Connecticut.
2016 Annual Meeting
- No contestant in a CWGA sponsored event will be allowed to play if she is wearing garments known as halters and shorts.
- Unless otherwise specified, only Class A players may tee off before ten o'clock.
- Merchandise certificates in the amount of seven dollars will be awarded the low gross and low net winner in each class for all Open Day events. (Maybe we haven't come that far in this category - $7 in 1948 would be equivalent to $70.21 in 2016.)
- Handicaps will be based on a player's five best scores of the past two years. No more than three scores may be from the same course.
- Except when otherwise specified... players may reserve starting times one week in advance only. Oral requests will be taken by the Executive Secretary at one tournament, for the next. ...No telephoning unless it is absolutely necessary, please. (This last sentence was all in caps in the brochure!)
Local Rule for Accidental Movement of a Ball on the Putting Green
From the USGA website: "Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1 are modified as follows: When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved by the player, his partner, his opponent, or any of their caddies or equipment. The moved ball or ball-marker must be replaced as provided in Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1. This Local Rule applies only when the player’s ball or ball-marker lies on the putting green and any movement is accidental."More information...
Click on the image to the left to read the latest edition of the Nutmeg Golfer!
The 2017 schedule is still being worked out but here is preliminary info:
- Annual Reps Meeting at Pine Orchard - May 18
- CT Women's Open at Torrington - Date TBD
- CT vs RI at Valley CC (RI) - June 1
- CWGA Championship at Heritage Village - June 19-22
- NEWGA Championship at Hop Meadow - July 10-12
- CWGA/SNEWGA Matches at Chippanee - July 27
- Hartford Women's Open at Goodwin & Keney - July 29 & 30
- Seniors/Juniors Championship at Shuttle Meadow - July 31 & Aug. 1
- Legends Championship at Shuttle Meadow - Aug. 1
- CT Women's Amateur at Manchester - July 17-19
- Endicott at Potowomut (RI) - Oct. 3-5
- Annual Meeting & Closing Mixer at Heritage Village - October 19
One Day Tournament Locations (not all dates and formats have been finalized):
Ellington Ridge, Darien, Ridgewood, Wampanoag, Yale, Brownson & Black Hall
The Endicott Cup, a two-day stroke play competition, was won by Christine Gagner from Massachusetts. The team matches took place on Friday - Connecticut won the Eaton Cup, the net team competition, with Massachusetts second and Rhode Island third. Massachusetts won the Tri-State Cup, with Connecticut finishing in second and RI third.
Pictured at left is the winning Eaton Cup Team, left to right:
Kathi Sorey, Patti Cheyne, Donna Harris, Lynda Foster, Norma Noyes, Priscilla Wargo, and Diane Rothwell. Not pictured is alternate Debbie Johnson.
This trophy tournament was won by a team from Wampanoag CC, pictured below: Ann Newman (L) and Jean Sennett (R)
Congratulations to this year's winners!
Mercedese Large won the Connecticut Women's Tournament of Champions on the second hole in a 3-way playoff. Pictured above are the playoff participants - Mercedese Large (L), Nicole Elliott (C), and Myra Macmillan (R).
Click here for full results.
Congratulations to this year's winners and runners up:
Seniors Legends Juniors
Winner: Lisa Fern-Boros (76-82 158) Winner: Terry McNamara (92) Winner: Taylor Rodgers (81-82 163)
Runner Up: Jean Sennett (82-81 163) Runner Up: Ann Malone (93) Runner Up: Kelsey Sullivan (91-86 177)
Low Net: Mim Schreck Low Net: Hannah Steel
For full results, click on tournament names listed above.
Joyce Curran (L), the CWGA Captain, and Carole Oat (R), the SNEWGA Captain, are pictured at left. Carole captained the winning team at this year's matches held at Blue Fox Run. SNEWGA captured 98 points vs. 82 by CWGA. Click here for full results.
The NEWGA Championship was won by Katie Barrand from Massachusetts and the Myopia Hunt Club. Mim Schreck (on right in picture at left) from Oronoque CC won the Legends division.
For the third year in a row, MacKenzie Hawkes of Madison CC is our CWGA Champion. She defeated Nikki Liucci of Farmington Woods 4 and 3 in Friday's final match of the Championship flight. In the Founders Cup Myra Macmillan (Oronoque) was a 3 and 2 winner over Janet Karabin (Silvermine). Thanks to all of the participants, tournament officials, CSGA rules officials, spotters, and Redding CC for contributing to another successful championship tournament. Click here for final results.
Pictured at left: MacKenzie Hawkes (L) and Nikki Liucci (R).
(Visit our ShutterFly page for more photos)
The 2016 edition of the membership handbook is available online now in the Members Only section (you must login to view it). The hard copy version has been mailed to all members who renewed their membership in a timely manner.
2015 CWGA Yearbook
The 2015 CWGA Yearbook on Shutterfly is available.
See photos from CWGA tournaments and other 2015 events.
Click on image at left to view this and prior year yearbooks.
Nancy Lopez Message to CWGA Members
Click on Nancy's picture to see a message from her to CWGA members.
(best viewed using a browser other than Firefox)
Invitationals & Charity Tournaments
Available for Members Only